Thursday, November 11, 2004

Remembering Our Veterans

I have posted over at E-Involved some great information about Veteran's Day, so if you're interested, click on over.

On a personal note, today would've been my step father's birthday if he was still living. He died about 11 years ago of liver failure due to alcoholism. He was born in Germany and served under the Nazi regime. I remember he told me that he hated serving under Hitler, but he did because he had no choice.

Eventually he was able to come to America and become free. For that I'm thankful. He was a nice guy and loved my mother.

I remember how he used to watch war movies all the time, while drinking his German beer. I didn't understand why he did that then, but today I do. It was the way he coped with the horror of being involved in war. In clinical terms it would be Post Traumatic Stress Disorder.

War is hell, and for our vets it doesn't end when they come off the battle field. It continues in their minds and often by the scars on their bodies.

Please join me in praying for our vets today and always. Please also remember our military and the other militaries of the world in prayer today. May peace soon come to this earth.


0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home