Monday, October 25, 2004

Spreading the Anti-Gospel

I love reading the opinions of celebrities because they are just so fascinating! Today I was reading this interesting article about Bill Maher and his views on Christians and religion. Here is a snippet from part of that article.

"Morality is mostly the Golden Rule, treating other people the way you would like other people to treat you," he says. "I mean, the teachings of Jesus are a great moral guide. Jesus is one of the greatest role models I can think of. It's a shame that Christianity has gone so far from the teachings of Jesus. I don't know anyone less Jesus-like than most Christians.

"And, by the way, the Bible does have wisdom in it, but it's written in parables," he continues passionately. "It's the idiots today who take it literally. And the first parable that is in the Bible is the story of Adam and Eve eating from the tree of knowledge.

"What I believe that writer was trying to tell mankind was, 'You can't know. Don't try to eat from the tree of knowledge. You can't know. That's for God to know, not for you to know.' . . . And I believe that is a fairly wise story. You can't know."

Let's take this apart just a little bit...

So Bill, you've noticed the hypocrisy in the church - that's good. I'll give you that many Christians aren't close to being like Jesus. That's obvious to the world. However, I would like to know who you think is most like Jesus?

So idiots take the bible literally? Well, I guess I'm an idiot then because I totally take the Bible literally. However, what Bill obviously doesn't understand is that the Bible not only has parables, which the story of Adam and Eve isn't - but it also is historical, full of poetry, wisdom literature, prophecy and the obvious thing Bill misses - Truth.

Then Bill says he believes the writer....BILL - Who is the writer of the Bible? If you think it's man then that explains your worldview. But if it's God, and you've admitted that you believe in God, then I think it's crazy that you think God is telling us that we can't know.

If you want to read the rest of the story go - HERE




0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home