Wednesday, October 27, 2004

A Christian or Politician First?

Why is it so hard for people who call themselves Christians to actually stand up for what the Bible teaches?

Take President Bush, our "Christian" President. The guy annoys me because he's so wishy washy when it comes to standing for the Truth.

Take this article where he says wrongly that Muslims and Christians worship the same God.

Sorry, but I don't worship the same God that Muslims do. Jesus Christ is my God, not a God who is called Allah.

Then there's Bush's pandering to the homosexual lobby. Eva, my dear friend, asked what I thought of Bush's endorsement of civil unions - well, I think Bush is pandering to the homosexual lobby.

It's really that simple. Politicians pander.

The question I have is should Christians pander? If you're a politician, are you a Christian first, or a politician first?

As for me, it's always a Christian first. Too bad our President doesn't have those same convictions.

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

You're right-- it is truly sad that religion has any bearing on our leaders or our electing them.

October 27, 2004 at 2:33 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

No, Christians shouldn't pander in politics. They should always seek the high ground. But I should note that Christians are still bound to the flesh, so we do fail at times. Also, the difficulties of political realities should be considered. Believe me, I have the same objections to Bush that you do, but I still plan on voting for him.

The President, is the President of all the people and that leads to a great many difficulties in governing. Compromise is inevitable, even necessary. I'm not saying that's right mind you. Just the reality of life in America today as I see it.

In a spiritual way the Presidency is an embodiment of the people of the nation, and in that light I don't find it all surprising that Bush reacted the way he did on Civil Unions or the Islam/Christianity question. The nation itself appears deeply divided and wrestling with these issues, so it makes sense to me that the one representing us would too. My only hope is that, as with myself when coming into contact with difficult choices in my life, President Bush will rely on the wisdom outside himself and turn to God's living Word, The Christ.

October 29, 2004 at 12:04 PM  
Blogger lloydletta said...

Bush is treating the Christian Right like the crazy aunt in the attic. Look at who spoke at the Republican convention.

Groups like Log Cabin Republicans are on the ascent in Republican politics. Groups like the Culture and Family Institute and Focus on the Family will be marginalized.

October 29, 2004 at 2:34 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home