Wednesday, September 15, 2004

You Can't Heal Until You Feel

"God is near to the brokenhearted and contrite in spirit."

When I think about all the terrible things that are going on in the world, I'm amazed that God has been so patient with His creation. People hate, people steal, lie, cheat, commit sexual sin, and a multiple of other rotten things, and yet through it all, God is patient and He remains loving.

I think sometimes we all need to be reminded of that, especially when we have days like I've had today, dealing with unresolved hurt and loss from your life.

I had a great friend today tell me, "You can't heal until you feel..." I thought that was great. Of course, as I'm crying about my situation, he's telling me this and inside I'm going - "Shut up! Who likes to feel pain!" But when you think about it, without pain, we would not know what it is like to live without pain. Did that make sense?

If we never experience pain, then we would never be able to experience health. That's probably a better way to put it.

Yet sometimes I think that people in the helping professions, like me, forget that it's really okay to feel our stuff. We aren't super humans. We certainly aren't God. We are simple broken vessels of His mercy if we allow Him to shape and mold us.

I'm in that process and I can't say that I always like it, but when it comes down to it, I'm thankful for it because God is a good parent who gives us the medicine we need. He created us as human beings with feelings, thoughts, bodies and soul. We really are fearfully and wonderfully made.

So just remember, when you are having a day like I've had today - FEELING a lot of stuff - and you FEEL like it's too overwhelming and you can't handle it. You can. God is near. God loves you and even if you're misunderstood about things, HE always understands.

2 Comments:

Blogger Ben said...

Good words Stacy. So damaging to live under the crushing expectation of having it all together.

September 17, 2004 at 12:38 PM  
Blogger Paul said...

Your friend is right. . .You gotta feel it to heal it!

September 17, 2004 at 2:16 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home