Saturday, September 04, 2004

We Have the Answer, But We Still Choose to Question

The other day as I was driving to school I was thinking about how young I am. I'm only 35 and will be 36 in a few months. (Yeah I'm one woman who is not ashamed of my age and I don't dye my hair either!) As I was thinking about this I was pondering eternity and how long it must be. I was also thinking about The Ancient of Days and the awesome reality that God always has existed.

Then I started thinking about the knowledge of mankind and how smart us humans think we are. Then I laughed and smiled and thought about Job and God's conversation with him.

After that I thought about how much knowledge a person in biblical times must have gleaned over hundreds of years of living and I was wondering how they would've communicated basic biblical, cultural and family values to a young one like me.

The reason I bring that up is because I often ask people who are twice my age and older, things like "What have you learned in 50 years of marriage?" or "What has your walk with the Lord been like all of these years and how has your view of God changed?" and usually to my disappointment, I'm given really lame answers. I say lame, because they are answers that I already thought of!

Which then made me think about why there appears to be so few who actually think critically in this culture and in the church. ( Since I love to pick on the church...)

I can't wait to meet Noah and talk to him about what it was like to leave the world the way God created it and then start anew in the drenched world he started in. I can't wait for the opportunity to talk to Job about his suffering and what he learned about God through it. And I really can't wait to talk to his wife - she had to be a tough woman and I think she get's a bad rap.

Finally, I absolutely can't wait to talk to Solomon - you know, that wise guy who literally did have all the answers. Can you imagine being as smart as him!

However, even greater is being able to discuss things with the All Existent One and the One who created knowledge, as we know it. That's incomprehensible to me, but at the same time, it's really really cool to know that we can have that personal connection with the One who truly does know everything.

I think if Christians, who claim to follow Jesus and the God of Abraham, Isaac and Jacob just did what He said to do, our culture and our church would be in a much better place. We would make a difference because we'd be deferring to the ONE with the answers and who IS the ANSWER.

But I wonder why, when we really have the answer, we don't just do it. That I think I will never fully understand.
© Stacy L. Harp, 2004

4 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Obviously, god has 'always' existed. At least- as long as humans have. Humans invented the idea of god, after all.

September 5, 2004 at 3:42 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

And who was it that invented humans? :)

September 6, 2004 at 3:53 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Claiming that humans created God instead of the other way around always makes me think of a man standing in front of a mirror arguing with his own reflection:

Man: "I'm the real one, you're just my reflection"
Mirror: "No, I'M the real one, and you're just MY reflection"

Marty

September 6, 2004 at 7:16 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Thank you, Marty, for backing me up. That was my point exactly.

September 7, 2004 at 7:05 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home