Wednesday, September 01, 2004

My thoughts on the Speakers last night

This is the first time I've ever paid any attention to the RNC or DNC and so just keep in mind that I'm not comparing it to anything in the past. So here we go....

The Bush Twins - I thought they were totally inappropriate and not funny at all. With one exception - when they made the comment about having a hamster that didn't make it. I think their comments and "jokes" were just in really bad taste and even though the I know the RNC is trying to pander to the younger crowd, I just thought it was tasteless.

Arnold - I live in California, and although he's better than Gray Davis, I didn't vote for him because he's not really a Republican. His speech apparently was well received by the RNC, but again, I thought he was boring. His movie lines are getting old and he doesn't represent me as a conservative. It's too bad McClintock didn't win....

Laura Bush - Her speech was really well done. And even though she is moderate on some issues I'm really conservative on, I think that she hit the ball out of the park with her speech. I especially appreciated that she set the record straight about GW funding stem cell research.

GWB - His surprise introduction of Laura was the highlight to me. I loved how he honors her and gives her praise. Husbands can take a few lessons from this gentleman President.

2 Comments:

Blogger Paul said...

I thought the comments by the Bush daughters were well-spoken. Keep in mind the target audience they were attempting to speak to - young people the age of my two sons, ages 22 and 19. I can tell you, it's going to take more than stodgy conservative-speak to ring their bell, even though they are committed Christians who stand firmly on their beliefs.

Regarding Arnold, I'm not a big fan either. In fact, with the exception of Laura Bush, the roll call of speakers so far (Rudy Juliani, John McCain to name two) certainly don't represent what I consider staunch conservatism. That being said, Arnold's speech was very Reaganesque, filled with patriotic themes. I thought it was rousing and soul-stirring.

The Republican party is not my party of choice. I'm leaning heavily in the direction of the Constitutional party as I believe it is more closely aligned with my values and beliefs. However, pragmatically speaking, if we don't vote for Bush, we're going to get Kerry.

Worse things have happened of course. I mean, we did have Clinton for eight years. . .and the country survived.

Ultimately, I'm just glad our salvation doesn't come from Washington!

September 1, 2004 at 8:30 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Arnold was awesome. Cheesy lines aside, he expressed the American Dream vs totalitarianism in a way few can.

The twins were pretty sad, well Jenna anyway. Very stiff, probably overrehearsed. I expect them to host SNL soon.

Laura was all class, as usual.

GWB's introduction ok i guess, but i couldn;t help but wonder if there were 2 secret service agents just offcamera, wearing fielders gloves just in case a foul ball came in at the wrong moment :P

Marty

September 1, 2004 at 1:50 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home