Monday, September 13, 2004

Glory to Oprah!

Have you seen the story about Oprah giving cars to everyone in her audience today? Yup, she's done it again! Read the story here.

I have a few thoughts about this...

I think it's very nice to give to people who are in need, genuine need, especially if you have the money like Oprah does.

However, as someone who watches the culture and tries to analyze it from a biblical worldview I have a few concerns about Oprah's generosity.

Oprah has claimed on her show and various interviews that I have seen, that she is a Christian. However, without going into all the things I disagree with concerning her form of Christianity , I have to ask the question - Has Oprah ever read the scripture where it says to not let your left hand know what your right hand is doing concerning giving?

Are we not, as Christians, supposed to bless others and not brag about it or boast about? Aren't we supposed to only be boasting in the Lord?

This isn't the first time Oprah has done something grandious and broadcast it. Remember when she did her special from a third world country and she talked about giving all of these children shoes, dolls, and other supplies? She even "adopted" them and opened up a school to help them all.

I think this is great, as long as you're not trying to bring glory to yourself. That's the issue I have.

Come to think of it, that's the same issue I have with most of the "preachers" on TBN. I won't name names, but you know the blab it and grab it group that just beg and plead for money only so they can pocket most of it and then not give it to their ministries that really need it.

So much for treasure that lies up in heaven huh!

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Who could forget the 72 virgins in heaven?

September 13, 2004 at 3:31 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home