Tuesday, August 24, 2004

Will Blog for Food ....

A few days ago I was getting off the freeway and in front of me was a red Toyota pick up truck with a married man in the driver's seat. To the left of us was a "homeless" person standing there with a cardboard sign with the words, "Homeless, will work for food".

Since I have well over 15 years experience working with the homeless population and I know that a real homeless person would never hold a sign like that, off the freeway exit, I never give any money. I just smiled, waved and thought, "I wonder if anyone is stupid enough to give money to this person." Well, you guessed it - the married guy in front of me, took out a $5 and motioned this person to him and gave them the money. The light turned green and we were off.

As I followed this guy and then eventually passed him up, I noticed a cup of Starbucks in his cup holder and wondered to myself why he gave this person his $5. Doesn't he have a family to feed and provide for? Is he someone who feels "guilty" if he doesn't give his money? Does he really believe giving that person that money will really help them? Is he a Christian doing an act of mercy? Or just a gullible idiot?

I don't know. But what I do know is that I wonder what would happen if I decided to mess myself up and do the same thing at a freeway exit. How much money would people give me. Plus, I wonder why this person who was given the money didn't just leave after getting it. They just stuffed it into their pants and kept standing there. I thought they were "hungry".

Of course, did I mention the bags of food he was given too, that sat there with his backpack? OH yeah...

So I wonder why do we let people get away with schemes like this? How come we are so quick to help lazy people? Is this really a good thing? Is it biblical? (NO)

I'm curious about your thoughts on this issue. OH, and before you lecture me on never being homeless or walking in that persons shoes - I have lived in a homeless shelter and understand that situation and I didn't get out of it by holding a sign on a freeway....but I will blog for food if you want to give me some.


6 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

How do you know he was married? What does this have to do with the rest of the story?

August 25, 2004 at 9:46 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

How do you know he was married? What does this have to do with the rest of the story?

August 25, 2004 at 9:46 AM  
Blogger Julie Anne Fidler said...

I'll blog for a new car. Anyone interested?

August 25, 2004 at 10:05 AM  
Blogger Julie Anne Fidler said...

I'll blog for a new car. Anyone interested?

August 25, 2004 at 10:05 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

That's exactly right! And, yes, it is a good idea to walk a mile in someone else's shoes before you criticize them - that way you're a mile away from them, plus you've got their shoes! ;-)

August 25, 2004 at 3:49 PM  
Anonymous nifty erotic stories archive n said...

Ziggy laughed and looked at his camcorder I promise Iwont. I told him that Iwould do anything he wanted me to do.
underage incest stories free
adult bisexual sex stories
masturbation horror stories
erotic lesbian stories
public spanking stories
Ziggy laughed and looked at his camcorder I promise Iwont. I told him that Iwould do anything he wanted me to do.

December 3, 2010 at 11:54 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home