Wednesday, August 04, 2004

White Paint

This morning I noticed this big white mess on the pavement in front of my house and since I wasn't wearing my glasses yet, I didn't know what it was. So I asked my husband and he told me it looked like white paint. Well, it turned out to be white paint and not just white paint on the road, but also splattered all over my neighbors nice green car that was parked in her driveway.

So we rushed outside to see what happened and we found a paint can laying on the road, and about 50 feet from that a ton of paint and the whole car had been douced with paint. I quickly called my neighbor and woke her up and within minutes my husband and neighbors were rinsing off the white paint. What a way to start the day!

However, what truly blessed me was my neighbors response to the whole mess. She turned to me and said, "Too bad they didn't hit my white fence, it needed painting!" And I thought to myself, "There's a great Christian woman with a great attitude!"

Well, then later in the day, we lost power. Our whole neighborhood was blacked out, and my neighbor came over concerned and said, "Is your power out?" We talked and just laughed about the events of the day. Because neither one of us was grumbling about what was going on.

In fact, it reminded me of what Joni shared last night about being thankful for all things. Today, I saw my neighbor rise above a really messy situation, we bonded and encouraged one another and it wouldn't have been possible if her car hadn't been splattered with white paint, or our lights had remained on the full day.

Which got me thinking about something I haven't thought about in a long time. How come we only seem to make time for our neighbors if there is some type of tragedy or problem?

Why do we need to wait for trouble to bond with others?

As followers of Christ, we are commanded to fellowship and not just during the bad times.

I think that today was a great reminder to bond, in the good times and to not wait until some tragedy happens. Life is too short. Let's get outside for awhile and just hang with those we love.

And when you do, remember white paint. Because white definitely goes with everything!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home