Saturday, August 28, 2004

Satan's Hold on Christians - He's doing a great job...

Have you ever tried to lead something like a small group only to have people say, "Yes, I will be there in one breath..." and then in another breath call you back or email you and say, "Sorry, but this came up.... ___________?"

This is the story, I have no doubt, of every serious leader in ministry. How do you get the stinky uncommited sheep in the church to actually show up for something besides free donuts and coffee....

It's a good question, and it's a hard question to answer because the assumption is that these 'sheep' are really 'sheep'.

I often get discouraged by the lack of commitment in the body of Christ. Research suggests that 20% of the people do 80% of the work and I can testify to that being true. But why is that the case?

Is it because people are too busy? Overloaded? Just lazy? Flaky? Sick? Their dog ate something? What is it?

Well, if I had to answer this question, I'd say it's a combination of a few things.

1) It's a spiritual battle and anytime something of importance needs to be done, the enemy of our souls will do whatever he can to make sure you do not show up.

2) Christians have no clue what the fear of the Lord is and what His holiness is all about. In other words, the focus is on US and not HIM. We are supposed to be servants of HIM, not the other way around.

3) We've lost view of eternity. We don't care that people are dying daily and going to hell. Christians don't live with that view in mind. We care more about what's on television than what's in the Bible - and so our commitment wanes and things of this earth drag us away and eternity is lost.

4) We've not a clue about the COST of what Jesus did for us. We don't live as if we believe we're forgiven. We live for our pleasures and that's it.

5) Thankfulness is gone. Instead we sit and gossip or complain about things we could be changing. We deny the gospel mandate to be thankful in everything. And when was the last time you thanked God for giving you eternal life and choosing you!

These are a few thoughts this morning. As I sit here and wait for people to show up for this meeting they've only known about for a few weeks. As I've handheld them and sent them cards to remind them, and then called them.....still no one is here.

I did get a few good calls though with interesting excuses. Someday I might just write a book on the excuses I've received. Because it's amazing to me how all of these things that happen - always happen the day of the meeting.

Hey - I gotta give Satan some credit - he's doing a great job keeping Christians away from the important things.

As for me, I'm going to to pray.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home