Friday, August 13, 2004

How do you reach the once-reached?

Dr. Ray Pritchard has a great blog entry today called Bring 'Em Back Alive. He asks the question "How do you reach the once-reached?"

The gist of the entry is about how you reach those who have left the church because they have been wounded. The answer, do what Jesus did - He left the 99 and went for the one lost sheep.

However, the problem is how many of us actually do that? How many pastors do that? It's been my experience that few do. And one of my passions is to make sure that everyone knows they are welcomed into the church.

But there's a real problem in the church these days. Apathy. Self-centeredness. Power. Control. Lusting for name recognition. Building programs. Greed. Gluttony. Biblical illiteracy....need I say more?

And the problem can only be solved if the Pastors start growing up into maturity themselves and stop seeking their own glory. To be honest and completely blunt, I'm not a fan of most Pastors. I don't respect most Pastors because from what I've observed in my 25+ years of being a Christian, most Pastors aren't called to be Pastors. In fact, years ago I worked for a missions organization where my job was talking to Pastors daily and one day I decided to do a poll of why these men decided to become pastors - and the number one reason was that they wanted people to like them!

I had only one man tell me God called him to the position. In fact, truth be told, I seriously wonder how many professing pastors are really Christians in the biblical sense. And I wonder this because for the life of me I can't understand why so many pastors are standing behind their pulpits every week and NOT talking about the decline of America.

How come they don't see America as a mission field? Where are the churches who are reaching out to the homosexual communities? Where are those leaders who are ministering to those with AIDS?

I can already hear your answers - "Stop bashing pastors, they have enough to do without saving the whole world...." And yet, I think it's really really simple.

It is written, that "My house shall be a house of prayer." I think that when Pastors start making His house that house of prayer, then maybe, just maybe things will change. Until then, we are going to have many leave the churches wounded because they aren't getting spiritually fed.

And we wonder why the cults are so big. More on that another time.


0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home