Thursday, August 12, 2004

Christian Celebrity

Over the last year I've had this issue of "Christian celebrity" on my mind. Here is my issue in a nutshell...

I don't like it! I don't like how Christians in the public eye are put in places of worship by the Christian community. I don't like how these people are seen as experts on things, even if they aren't because they have written a book, have a radio or television show etc.

And I really don't like how these people often treat the "little guy". You can only know me if...you're famous like me.

I've noticed that Christian speakers are the worst. Have you ever noticed how they all hang out together? Yeah, it's like when do they actually focus on real relationships with normal believers?

I heard Beth Moore say one time that her audience is her best friend and I thought to myself, if that's the case, then that's really sad. Although I like Beth Moore, I admire her passion and teaching is relatively biblical. I just think it's sad that she considers her listeners her best friends.

What do you all think - is Christian celebrity wrong? Do you think it flies in the face of the book of James where we are told to not show partiality?

I think it does, and that's why I'm writing tonight.

I think the church needs to stop elevating servants of God and start lifting up the name and person of Jesus Himself.

Do I hear an amen?

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Amen:

It's time that these celebrities start acting like real people instead of pampered divas who want extravagant perks, lots of money, and squelching of disagreeing voices.

August 15, 2004 at 9:28 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home