Sunday, July 25, 2004

Is the American Church Falling Apart?

Last week I started a series on my other blog site called Is the American Church Falling Apart?  See Read Part I
 
This week I wrote Part II which was prompted simply by reading a sermon on the website of the church we were to visit, on behalf of the Gideons. 
 
"... This is what he read me, "In my second year, 1971, a couple came to see me for counseling----two male parishioners. They were having trouble in their relationship and needed some pastoral counseling. Yes, I came from that liberal Berkeley culture, where one appreciated differences, but this was new for me. I suspected there were some gay parishioners at St. Mary’s, but I made no personal contact until that moment. Here were two gay men in my office talking in detail about their life together and they needed support from their priest. We met 4 or 5 times, I think. We worked on conflict resolution, finances, and communication skills. In my experience with those two gay men, already together for 5 years, I witnessed the presence of committed love within the context of Christian faith...." 
 
To finish the article Finish the article.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home